South Bay Fire Fighter 1 & 2 Academy Information
South Bay Regional Public Safety Training Consortium (South Bay) is an Accredited Regional Training Program that operates the Fire Academy known as the South Bay Regional Fire Academy (SBRFA). South Bay and the SBRFA is an Accredited Regional Training Program (ARTP) with State Fire Training (SFT). SBRFA utilizes the most current Fire Fighter Curriculums approved by SFT; the Fire Academy curriculum meets or exceeds the standards for certification by the State Fire Training, State Board of Fire Services, and the Office of the State Fire Marshal.
SBRFA is a structured “para military” setting with stringent uniform and grooming standards, demanding physical fitness expectations, high academic standards with a focus on professionalism that is expected by the fire service. The SBRFA format is intended to properly prepare our graduates for successful entry into a fire service career.
SBRFA offers our recruits the State Fire Training Fire Fighter Certification Testing based on the most current Fire Fighter 1 & 2 curriculums. The State Fire Training Fire Fighter 1 & 2 Curriculums and Certification Testing process are approved by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress and ProBoard.
Fire Academy Estimated Costs & Expenses
- Any criminal conviction may inhibit your ability to secure gainful employment in the Fire Services
Fire Academy Training Locations
South Bay Regional Public Safety Training ConsortiumGavilan College Campus560 Bailey Ave., San Jose, CA 95141
Fire Academy Office – E119
Fire Academy Classroom – B113
Other South Bay Fire Academy partnering agency sites and training locations include:
- Milpitas Fire Department
- San Jose Fire Department
- Palo Alto Fire Department
- Hollister Fire Department
- Spring Valley Metro Ed Campus – San Jose
- Gavilan College Campus – Hollister
- Other sites and partnering agencies as required
Fire Academy Hours
- Fall 2022/2023 dates to be determined
- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
- 0700-1800 each day
Fire Academy Prerequisites
1. Minimum age requirement: 18 years of age
2. Public Safety First Aid, AED, and CPR Certification (CA Health and Safety Code 1797.182)
*Training equivalent to the current American Heart Association’s guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care at the Healthcare Provider level or BLS level
*This is a required cohort class to attend the Fire Fighter Academy
Certificates Issued Upon Graduation
Certificates issued may vary based on the Fire Academy format, specifics on each of these will be provided during the Preparation Class, typically upon successful completion of the Fire Academy graduates receive the following:
South Bay Regional Public Safety Training Consortium
- Fire Fighter 1 Certificate of Completion (SFT 2019 FF1 Curriculum implementation January 2020)
- Fire Fighter 2 Certificate of Completion (SFT 2019 FF1 Curriculum implementation January 2020)
California State Fire Training (SFT)
- Fire Fighter 1 Certification (SFT 2019 FF1 Curriculum implementation January 2020)
- Fire Fighter 2 Certification
- Confined Space Rescue Awareness
- Fire Fighter Survival
- Vehicle Extrication
- Fire Control 3 – Structural Fire Fighting
- Fire Control 4 – Controlling Ignitable Liquids and Gases
- Fire Control 6 – Wildland Fire Fighting Essentials
- ICS 200 Basic Incident Command System
- Low Angle Rope Rescue Operations
CAL FIRE & National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG)
- CAL FIRE Basic Wildland Firefighter
- CAL FIRE Wildland Safety and Survival
- NWCG S-180 Human Factors in the wildland fire service
- NWCG S-130 Firefighter Training
- NWCG S-190 Introduction to Wildland Fire Behavior
California Specialized Training Institute/Cal OES
- Haz Mat – First Responder Operations
National Incident Management System (NIMS)
- FEMA IS-100B Introduction to Incident Command System
- FEMA IS-700B NIMS, An Introduction National Incident Management System
- FEMA IS-800B NIMS, National Response Plan
Note: Additional certification may be offered
Fire Fighter Certification Testing
South Bay Regional Fire Academy will conduct Fire Fighter Certification Testing during the course of the Fire Academy. The Fire Fighter Certification Testing will be offered sequentially as a separate course, typically at the conclusion of each curriculum training block. The certification testing costs are not included with the Fire Academy tuition.
State Fire Training Fire Fighter Certification Testing will include:
- Fire Fighter 1 – Structural Written Exam
- Fire Fighter 1 – Structural Skills Testing
- Fire Fighter 1 – Wildland Written Exam
- Fire Fighter 1 – Wildland Skills Testing
- Fire Fighter 1 – Hazardous Materials Written Exam
- Fire Fighter 1 – Hazardous Materials Skills Testing
- Fire Fighter 2 – Structural Written Exam
- Fire Fighter 2 – Structural Skills Testing
Fire Fighter 1 & 2 Academy Guide to Registration
To register and attend the Fall 2022/2023 South Bay Regional Fire Fighter 1 & 2 Academy, follow the steps below:
CLICK HERE to be added to the South Bay Regional Fire Academy Open Enrollment Notification List for all future Fire Fighter Academy Courses and Registration Information, and to request to be added to the RSVP list for an Information Meeting Session.
Once you have been added to the South Bay Regional Fire Academy Open Enrollment Notification List, you will receive an RSVP email to attend an Information Meeting Session. The email will provide you with a link to reserve a seat in one of the scheduled meetings. You will only be required to attend one session. The session will provide you an overview of all information needed to attend the Fire Fighter Academy Preparation Class, and successfully complete the South Bay Regional Fire Academy.
Attend your scheduled Information Meeting Session.
Students are required to:
- Arrive on time, late arrivals will not be allowed to attend
- Wear a mask and notify staff in advance if you are ill and need to cancel (temperature checks will be required before entering the classroom)
- Dress appropriately, business casual or professional
- Provide a copy of your resume
- Bring valid identification or California’s Driver’s License
- Bring a pen and paper to take notes
- Cell phones or other electronic communication devices will not be permitted in the classroom during the session.
At the conclusion of the information meetings, the Fire Fighter Academy Preparation Class Pre-Registration Form Link, and the Fire Fighter Academy Preparation Class Registration Checklist will be emailed to students who attended an Information Meeting session. Students interested in attending the Fall 2022/2023 Fire Fighter 1 & 2 Academy will be required to attend and complete the Fire Fighter Academy Preparation Class.
Registration for the Fire Fighter Academy Preparation Class will open on TBD. The class is limited to 30 seats and 5 stand-by spots with no waitlist. Enrollment fills up quickly, usually within 24-48 hours once registration opens. Entry will be based on first-come, first-serve.
Acceptance and stand-by emails for the Fire Fighter Academy Preparation Class will be emailed to the students on TBD no later than the end of the business day. Upon acceptance into the Fire Fighter Academy Preparation Class, you will be required to pay the course fee of $XX.XX (TBD) to secure your reservation.
Attend and complete the Fire Fighter Academy Preparation Class.
On TBD, the Fire Fighter 1 & 2 Academy Pre-Registration Form Link for the Fall 2022/2023 Fire Fighter 1 & 2 Academy will be emailed to the students who have successfully completed all required prerequisites listed above.
The South Bay Fire Fighter 1 & 2 Academy is limited to 22 recruits and 5 standby spots with no waitlist. Enrollment fills up quickly, usually 24-48 hours once registration opens. Entry will be based on first-come, first-serve.
Acceptance and stand-by notifications will be emailed to the students on TBD no later than the end of the business day. Upon acceptance into the Fire Fighter 1 & 2 academy, students will be required to pay the full tuition of $XXXX (TBD) to secure your reservation. This fee does not include Uniform & Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) that is required to attend the Academy. Instructions to purchase the required additional uniforms and equipment through the vendor will be provided to you in your acceptance email notification.
Residency, Financial Aid, or VA
If you would like additional information regarding Residency or Financial Aid, CLICK HERE.
Any students using VA Benefits will need to contact the Gavilan College Veteran Resource Center for additional information prior to registration.
Fire Academy Contact Info.
Fire Academy E-mail: email@example.com