Fire Fighter I Academy
The South Bay Regional Public Safety Training Consortium offers a California State Fire Training accredited Fire Fighter I Academy known as the South Bay Regional Fire Academy.
The Fire Fighter I Academy is a 6-month 540-hour program conducted on weekends, 10 hours each Saturday and Sunday and 4 hours on each Friday night. The Fire Academy provides basic fire fighter hands-on skills and didactic training required by the California State Fire Training Fire Fighter I Curriculum (2013). This course meets and exceeds the standards for certification by the State Board of Fire Services and the Office of the State Fire Marshal.
The Fire Academy is a formalized academic and professional setting that sets a level of standards that exceeds those required of fire departments today. Recruits are expected to follow strict uniform and grooming standards, maintain exceptional academic and physical conditioning standards, conduct themselves professionally, be able to follow directions, and perform and contribute as a productive
team member. Recruits are required to provide NFPA and Cal OSHA compliant structural fire fighting personal protective equipment (PPE) (turnout / bunker gear) and a self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA). Recruits may rent PPE from an approved vendor. If a Recruit is provid ing their own PPE they will be required to provide documentation confirming the gear is NFPA and Cal OSHA compliant to current standards.
South Bay Regional Fire Fighter I Academy Information
South Bay Regional Public Safety Training Consortium offers a California State Fire Training Accredited Fire Fighter I Academy known as the South Bay Regional Fire Academy (SBRFA).
1. Academy Sessions
There are two part-time Fire Academies are offered each year:
• Spring Fire Academy is in session from January – June
• Fall Fire Academy is in session from July- December
• Recruits must successfully complete one academy session in its entirety, Spring or Fall
2. Academy Hours Of Instruction:
The Fire Fighter I Accredited Academy is 6-months in duration and delivers 540 hours of instruction.
• 1800-2200 (6 pm - 10 pm) every Friday evening
• 0700-1800 (7 am – 6 pm) every Saturday and Sunday
• Other pre-scheduled days as required based on academy curriculum needs
• Recruits are required to attend all sessions
3. Academy Classes And Training Locations:
South Bay Regional Public Safety Training Consortium
560 Bailey Ave, San Jose, CA 95141
Fire Academy Office - E119
Fire Academy Classroom - B113
Fire Academy Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fire Academy Office Phone: (408) 229-4244
Off-Site Training locations include:
• San Jose Fire Department Training Center
• Palo Alto Fire Department Training Tower
• Hollister Fire Department
• Briggs Building / Hollister
• Other sites as needed
4. Fire Academy Tuition:
• Fire Academy Tuition is $2,300.00
o College Registration
o Learning Management System access
o Required course materials
o Physical fitness uniforms
o Consumable course materials
5. Fire Fighter I Academy Pre-Requisites:
• Public Safety First Aid and CPR (CA Health and Safety Code 1797.182)
• Must provide documentation before first day of academy.
6. State Fire Training Accreditation
South Bay Regional Public Safety Training Consortium / South Bay Regional Fire Academy are an Accredited Regional Training Program (ARTP) with Office of the Fire Marshal Office and California State Fire Training.
7. Fire Fighter I Academy Curriculum
The SBRFA delivers the most current approved California State Fire Training Fire Fighter I Curriculum is an intense, formalized and structured fire academy setting. The Fire Academy curriculum exceeds the standards for certification by the State Board of Fire Services and the Office of Fire Marshal Office.
For current curriculum content please visit the California State Fire Training website:
South Bay Regional Fire Academy may offer our Recruits the State Fire Training Fire Fighter I Certification Testing based on the current FFI curriculum. Recruits will be advised on this process during the academy orientation. There will be additional Fire Fighter I Certification Testing Fees, estimated to be $300 per student (this is subject to change).
8. Fire Academy Uniforms and Grooming
SBRFA practices strict uniform and personal grooming standards consistent with the fire service industry standards.
• Recruits shall be required to purchase Fire Academy Class B Uniforms.
• Firefighter Recruit Class B Uniforms are not included with academy tuition.
o Estimated cost of $300.00 from approved vendor
• Recruits shall not have hair below the top of the collar line.
• Recruits shall not have any visible body art or piercings or modifications visible while in any academy uniform.
• Recruits shall wear professionally fitted uniforms appropriately detailed.
• For detailed uniform and grooming standards please reference Fire Academy Recruit Manual.
9. State Fire Training Fire Fighter 1 Required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):
All PPE is required on the first day of the academy!
• PPE items are Not Included with tuition!
• Fire Fighter Personal Protective Equipment
o Must be NFPA compliant Structural Firefighting Ensemble
o Must be NFPA compliant Wildland Firefighting Ensemble
o Must be NFPA compliant Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA)
All PPE must be compliant for Immediately Dangerous to Life and Heath (IDLH) environment, live structural and vehicle firefighting operations. No exceptions!
All Recruit PPE will be inspected and the Recruit will be required to provide supporting documentation of compliant with CAL OSHA, NFPA 1851, NFPA1971 and NFPA 1981.
Fire Academy Recruits are required to provide:
• In-service structural firefighting ensemble known as “turnouts” or “bunker gear”
o Structural helmet w/goggles, flash hood, turnout boots, gloves, turnout coat, turnout pants and suspenders
• In-service wildland firefighting ensemble
o Wildland helmet w/goggles, flash hood, wildland boots, gloves, coat, and pants
• In-service Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA)
o Backpack harness with two 30 or 45 minute SCBA bottles, P.A.S.S. device, fitted SCBA mask, regulator, and current face fit testing documentation
Option 1 for securing PPE:
• Recruits may rent approved equipment from an approved PPE vendor
o Structural and wildland gear packages may be rented from http://www.fireacademyrentals.com
Estimated cost of $600 for six month rental
o SCBA fit testing and rental packages may be rented from: http://www.scbarentalco.com
Estimated cost of $350 for six month rental
Option 2 for securing PPE:
• Recruits who have access to sponsoring fire agency may seek permission to use PPE for the duration of the academy
• Recruits using any sponsoring agency PPE shall provide supporting documentation
o All PPE is in-service and not decommission
o Will remain in compliance with all NFPA PPE
Sponsored Recruits must also provide a letter from the department fire chief granting permission for use of gear for SBRFA operations.
See below for recommended PPE rental vendors below. All rented gear is not part of the academy tuition. PPE rental agreements are between the vendor and the Recruit, not SBRFA.
10. Fire Academy Open Registration Notifications
South Bay Regional Fire Academy does not establish a “waiting list”. The fire academy enrollment is based on first-come, first-serve once registration opens. The academy class size is limited to 30 Recruits and 5 Standby spots. The academy classes fill very rapidly, usually within 24 hours once opened.
Persons interested in being notified of the next Fire Academy may request to be placed on the “Fire Academy Open Registration Notification” email list. To be placed on the “Fire Academy Open Registration Notification” email list for the next academy persons must email the information listed below to: email@example.com
The email subject line must read:
“(Your Name here) Request for Fire Academy Notification”
Body of the email must be formatted with responses to the items listed below:
1. Full Name
2. Residential Address
3. Cell Phone Number
4. Military experience (if applicable)
5. Sponsored or affiliated with a fire agency (if applicable)
*Note: It is the responsibility of the individual interested to keep information current for the Fire Academy Open Registration Notification list!
SBRFA staff will email those persons on the “Fire Academy Open Registration Notification” and provide specific details about the open the registration process.
1. Registration is first come first serve once enrollment is open.
2. Deposit or full tuition is required to reserve a spot in the Fire Academy.
3. Full tuition is due 30 calendar days prior to the first day of academy.
4. Students cancelling after the 30 day deadline has passed will forfeit the deposit amount.
5. All students must attend a Fire Academy information / pre-orientation meeting and will be provide information on the following:
a. Academy overview
b. PT uniform sizing
c. Class B uniform vendor contact information
d. PPE vendor contact information
e. Recruit Manual / Policies
South Bay Fire Fighter Recruit Academy Registration and Cancellation Policy
Any person requesting a cancellation and/or withdrawing from any South Bay Regional Fire Academy registration must do so in writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org . The email must be submitted by 1700 hours (5 PM Pacific Standard Time) at least thirty (30) calendar days BEFORE the first day for the specified fire academy. Any person cancelling and/or withdrawing from the SBRFA after the thirty calendar day timeframe has passed will forfeit the full $800 deposit inclusive of $100 late cancellation fee.
Cancellations and/or withdrawals from South Bay Regional Fire Academy by any person after the academy has officially started (after the first day of the academy) will forfeit the entire deposit amount, charged the late cancellation fee and will be subject to additional consumables and/or materials cost up to the point of cancellation. Any person cancelling after the above timeframe will forfeit all online Learning Management System curriculums for fire academy.
Any person cancelling and/or withdrawing from any South Bay Regional Fire Academy at any point are responsible for completing the registering college withdrawal documents and submitting them to our fire academy office staff within 14 days of the request. These documents are available at The Academy main office.
For more information email: email@example.com